CLASS: 29 October 2014

Today’s class was held outside. While we were outside we discussed arguments. We discussed that in an argument we all stake a claim, present evidence, and prepare a rebuttal. We have being doing this since childhood and it is a basic skills for us as individuals. The difference now is between student and scholar.

I believe that a student won’t develop and define this skill, a student looks for the easy way out, and the way to put in the least amount of effort. A scholar on the other hand will take this basic skill and develop it to be a sophisticated, convincing, and subtle skill. A scholar will use others information and transform it into something all of their own, while a student will just copy paste and cite information. A scholar is defined because they demand more than the bare minimum.

My stance is that we have already learned all the basic skills that are required of us when entering college. Now to make the transformation from student to scholar we need to define these skills, build upon them, transfer and make connections in our academic lives. We go through life building on that basic skills that we were taught at a young age. We build on them upon experiences in life and knowledge gained throughout the academic world.

We learned certain moves in life and now as we go through life and school we are using those same moves but just building on them and strengthening them. As scholars we are always building, growing, and defining our basic skills. I look at it as through out our educational career we have been polishing these skills.

4 thoughts on “CLASS: 29 October 2014”

1. you take good notes, its reflected in your notes that you pay attention in class. I feel though that sometimes you may just repeat some of the information that is given to you. while it is all good information it is important for us as scholars to take in information as well as put out information of your own. I understand that you are simply putting your notes back into a blog form, but I encourage you to put your own thoughts into notes as well as quote and paraphrase what you hear to help you process the information that you are taking in by taking proper notes. keep up the good work

2. “We learned certain moves in life and now as we go through life and school we are using those same moves but just building on them and strengthening them. As scholars we are always building, growing, and defining our basic skills. I look at it as through out our educational career we have been polishing these skills.”

This is like what I put in my blog, being that we take a basic set of skills, clear our mind of foreign concepts, and move forward with what we know, adding what we learn along the way.

3. Do you think we lose some of those basic skills we learn when we enter college instead of building and growing upon those skills? I think that as we learn new skills, we tend to lose some of the older basic skills.

1. I don’t think that we lose these basic skills as mush as forget about them or set them aside in our memory.I think that we just develop off of our basic skills.