“What I saw set my soul on fire”

image_pdfimage_print

On the evening of Tuesday, October 21st, I attended the Dead Man Walking talk in the gymnasium given by author Helen Prejean. The talk was not only compelling in several aspects but also eye opening to some of the things that we do not see on an everyday basis.

Prejean wrote her book with a close relationship to Jesus. She shared that through sharing this story she has “awakened the gospel hqdefaultof Jesus”. When she first began writing letters to this man that was on death row, she then decided to shortly after go and visit him. Although this was incredibly uncomfortable for her she did it because she thought to herself, “whatever he had done, he was a human being”. This is exactly where her journey had begun.

Throughout the book she explains how important as well as challenging foregivness can be. Atleast this is what I thought the overall theme probably was. After speaking with the victim’s family, she explains that foregiveness is remaining whole after someone has done something horribly wrong to you or a loved one close to you.

Overall, I thought that Helen Prejean was a very inspiring individual. She opened my eyes to humanity but also the human heart overall. She taught me that throughout every religion and spiritual practice, love is the most important aspect of all.