How can we as a society help the population of “disabled”?

image_pdfimage_print

Disabled..In today’s society the word “disabled” usually has a negative connotation with the words “can’t”, DSCN4321“different”, and “limited”. When I looked up the exact definition for the word disabled it states, “(of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities” (merrium webster).

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest problems that we as a society have began to face. What do we call individuals that are different from the rest of us? We have become glued to the idea that it is okay to call them mentally impaired, physically impaired, and disabled, but have we really took a step back and put ourselves in their shoes?

I believe the first step to changing this misconception as a whole is to begin spending more time with these people. Over the summer I worked at a summer camp in California for individuals with disabilities (yes even I have a hard time figuring out the correct way to refer these kinds of people). When I worked at this camp though I not only became very close with many inspiring people, but I also learned a lot about myself. How truly blessed I was, but also how passionate I felt about the human race overall.

The reason I am posting about this is because I wanted not only get my scholar’s opinions on the word “disabled” but to give people a glimpse of how special and inspiring these people truly are.

So I’ll start with showing you my blog. As I left home and stepped foot into an entirely new surrounding I was planning on updating my SoLoved blog. The SoLoved blog consists of me and seven others that are focused and dedicated to making a difference around the world. Although I only updated my blog once while I was away, it may reveal an understanding as to what exactly I was doing on a day-to-day basis. If you may so happen to be interested in checking it out the link is:  http://solovedteam.weebly.com/annaDSCN4640

As I will be postingabout this topic much more often I would love to get some of you guys’ feedback on this topic. Oh and here’s a little pic of my buddies Benny and Steve. Have a wonderful day!