Composition

English, composition, writingĀ  what ever you want to call it, I was never really good at it or I just didn’t fell confident in it. But I guess in high school the non-English class that I have taken did have text in them, such as math, graphic design, art and web design. But a substitute teacher told me that “math is composition, where in math there are symbols that make us work the equation, but for compositions it’s structure. And that algebra was created when math and English go together and had a baby.” So in my mind I thought math was my strongest point and English being the weakest, but on test scoresĀ its the opposite. When this happens

2 thoughts on “Composition

1. Yes, yes, oh yes, “Math is composition.” It’s a structure that English has accepted over the years. The formulas, the art, creates a beauty of work to make people cry, cherish, or even laugh. It’s ever best if it’s your own work as well. But as art its structure however way you want it to be. So, I question your teach of math, but yet I agree with him. There are a type of structure but you don’t have to follow it. Brake away be free of your writing.

2. That’s interesting that the instructor described math that way, I never really thought about it as composition. But it makes sense! I think we compose everyday without ever really thinking about it. I was the opposite of you in high school, English was my strongest area and Math wasn’t; but it has been seven years since I did any major writing so I might not be very good at it anymore.