My Learning This Summer in COMP 150

image_pdfimage_print

Before this class I had already knew how to construct papers but now I’ve learned that what I was really doing was reporting. Reporting- giving a spoken or written account on something that has been investigated, done, herd and observed. I had done nothing but reporting in high school and it wasn’t till my senior year that I had to think about my audience and if they had the knowledge that I had.

Now when i entered COMP 150 I thought it was going to be a review course on how to cite, how to use quotes and to just follow the book. But to my surprise it was completely different. Sure we had to read the book but it was mostly out of class and then IN class we reflected on what we read. By taking it apart, finding the meaning of the text and understanding what was being conveyed to us. Really interesting indeed.

Now the assignments were based on applying what the book ‘Writing About Writing A College Reader’ that informed us on Conventions, Rhetoric and Threshold. Before learning about these I had never thought of how our lives were tied to these. . . .

2 thoughts on “My Learning This Summer in COMP 150

1. Reporting on knowledge we have and are soon to gain/build. I didn’t think about it like that and it gives me a new insight as to what we are writing/reporting. The idea that we must report to the knowledge the audience has is important. This previous knowledge helps the reader relate to what we are saying. I now understand how to pull out information I read and how to do that is breaking it down. That Tuesday where there were only three of us was an eye opener because we spent the whole class on one paragraph. I didn’t know we could spend two hours on one paragraph but it really showed that we can break apart every piece to gain full understanding. Rhetoric is everywhere and used all the time. Kellie mentioned composing ourselves and we use rhetoric to do that. We think about the meaning of our writing, why we are writing and who we are writing to.

• Yes that Tuesday was on eye opener but what I was trying to say to that my mind was also in that state where it was the proper way to write a paper for my class. But now slowly/moderately I’m becoming more comfortable in my writing and in the conversations. And for some reason it’s hard for me to come up with a reply to your comments.