Language: A Reader for Writers still connected to Exercise Science Physiology?

image_pdfimage_print

For my final three chosen  Language: A Reader for Writers. articles I read OMG, ETC. , Doubts About Doublespeak and The Church of Please and Thank You.     

OMG, ETC. by Robert Lane Greene. (P.118-126) discussed how acronyms have become very common in today’s society. I found it very interesting how many people think of text talk, such as ‘OMG’ only as a teenagers’ way of speaking. Greene talks about how in the work force acronyms are found in every profession. In  Exercise Science Physiology  we use acronyms for our own convince. Physical therapists might use acronyms like EKG, ACL and MMT. This can make it difficult for patients that do not know what the acronyms stand for unless they are carefully explained.

When I first read this article I thought of how many acronyms are used. I still believe that acronyms in the medical field need to be used and explained carefully.  As well as the use of acronyms without explanation can cause communication failure and confusion to the patient.  Improper use of abbreviations may cause a person to sound unprofessional. Although I do believe that the use of acronyms is very helpful in the medical field.

Doubts About Doublespeak.  by William Lutz. (P.198-203) talks about four ways that doublespeak is used in today’s society.

• Euphemism: A phrase that is used to avoid the reality that may be hard to deal with.
  • Jargon: A language created for specific professions that are used to communicate within that specific group quickly.
  • Gobbledygook or bureaucratese: The over use of multiple words to overwhelm the person being addressed.
  • Inflated Language: A way to make something seem more complex than it actually is (Stretching the truth).

Lutz states that Doublespeak alters our perception of reality(p.202).  I believe that this is true, Doublespeak is just a way to sugarcoat a situation because we do not know how to handle it properly. 

My first though about double speak in the medical field stays unchanged. When using doublespeak in the medical field patients may feel cheated of the input on their condition. Doublespeak should be avoided so that communication is very clear between patient and therapist.

Double speak
(Double Speak in the office)

The Church of Please and Thank You.  by Julie Traves (P.281-288) talks about how English is being used worldwide. Traves used statistics to say that majority of the population of the world knows English as a foreign language. Traves also quotes that many French speakers say that they need to know how to speak English.  A problem that has risen with English being taught everywhere is that it is changing the culture where it is being taught.  Teachers say that they have to teach the language and use English culture to explain what the meaning is.  This is where the student may decide to or unknowingly take up the culture that is being used as an example when only the words were supposed to be communicated. 

After reading this article I found that my first impression on what the article was about was completely off. Now I am more informed about how the teaching of the English language is effecting other cultures even if it is unintentional. I would like to note that ‘Please and Thank You‘ is part of my English-speaking culture. In the field of Exercise Science Physiology when trying to explain what is happening to a patient I will need to take into account their culture and find a way to clearly communicate what is going on. This should be handled carefully so that they do not feel pressured to change but to be knowledgeable of every option they have before them.