At the first meeting, the Panel discussed the charge and agreed that it captured the role we would intially address. We also identified what the Panel felt were the biggest challenges facing a classified employee at Fort Lewis College, and what the biggest advantages of being a classified employee at Fort Lewis.
- Raising morale
- Low pay and making ends meet
- Upward mobility-promotions-lateral moves
- No voice /communication
- Lack of options to make changes within the classified system
- Decisions are made at the state level
- Insurance & benefit options
- Overworked/job creep
- Budget allocations and how they are determined
- Job security
- Some flexibility as Higher Ed (more than other State agencies)
- Good work environment
- Benefit package/options
- Seniority protection
Members of the panel noted that CU had announced an incentive plan for their classified employees. Darren Mathews stated he was aware that CU was working on a plan, but was unaware that the plan had been finalized or announced.
Next meeting: Tentatively, December 1st.