writing what matters

The article Writing what matters: A students struggle to bridge the the Academic/Personal Divide by Emily Strasser was a really interesting article. Emily argued with another writer named Stanley Fish and his article “Chronicle of Higher Education” she talks about how Stanley was wrong. Fish only focuses on the grammar correction and sentence structure in literacy. Emily argues that it’s not all about grammar issues but getting the student to connect with what there writing about. She points out that getting students to use their own voice when writing is a lot better than just focusing on the grammar. I can really relate to Emily because in my High School composition classes we would mostly focus on just our voices in the essay. Learning composition this way was a lot easier than just focusing on grammar because I would just mainly focus on what I’m writing about than later I would correct all of my grammar errors. With this method I learned a lot more about writing and taking control of my essays.