– Bill states were not quite where we want to be still with our writing when it comes to formatting. We need to pay more attention to detail with the formatting.
– Ex: COMP 150 / SEC 12
– if you put something in italics then it doesn not go in quotes. Turn signals are connectors, the let people know you are about to make a move. When in italics… its a book but quotation signals quoting a source.
– Be consistent, if your not sure what to do then always make sure to be consitent in your decison.
– If refering to a person whos name is the same as the book do not italisize
– Scholars name
detailed about class
Mangrum in essays, font size 11, times new roman.
Where were going during the last few weeks …were going to blog
– 1st post notes from class, do not elaborate.
– 2nd can only occur a minimum of 4 hours later (the great pause) you can and will see and think about things differently. Write about the word serious as it relates to writing in this class. How does it relate to our class discussions, note taking, self assesment, etc…
*look up serious in dictionary*
– 3rd write a second essay again with at least 4 hours in between the last posting. How does the word serious relate to the whole of my eduction experience. Connecting the wrod serious to all the different parts of my acedemic career. Connections are at the heart of a liberal arts education.Transference… conections, higher education how to make parts of all classes relavant to others in some way. how can we connect the parts? Write the essay about connection between all aspects of education, life in general and other classes.
– I didnt get anuthing out of that class
– That class was a waste of my time
– I’m never going to anything with this
– I’ll never use any of this
_ The conversation to give rise to the blogs
– Pushing to understand how language works
– Pushing to tease out the suttleties and different nuancies in language
– pushing against commonly held assumptions about what writing is. In the process were developing ideas as critical thinkers.
– Were also learning how difficult it is to write
– What does the word serious mean?
– Precious initially says that she doesnt know, then says after listening to someone else that its when someone is not kidding around. Bill says do you see what she did? she looked at what is not… the opposite of something.
– Serious is different than kidding around
– Luke says its solem attempt to accomplish someting
– Bill is serious, if you can expand the word then you can expend the sentence and you can expand the paragraph and then finally you can expend an entire essay
– Sydney thinks of a humorous way of thinking about it. are you serial? or serious Texas BBQ.
– Leighton, focused or determined
_ CJ says its a tone, when laughing is not welcomed. her job as an author to create a serious tone so that the reader feels that joy and laughter is not appropriate.
– Amy- diciplined
– Me, its a way of communication something important with a sense of conviction.
– Carlie, Batman- why are you so serious Batman? showing hes deep in though.
– Sam says seriuos going towards a goal with a motivated and driven mindset.
– Noreen says legitimate or passionate
– Lunstin Lopez says a full bodied attempt to accomplish soometing
– Justin says its an emotion showing the magnitude of a situation….Bill then says an emotion that matches or rises to the magnitude of a situation…Bill changed the words paraphrased.
– expression of something of importance
– 4 hours total so plan acordingly…
– Bill is pushing us towards how common, ordinary word have a particular meaning in my head but that when someone reads my writing they have a different meaning in their head. they dont have my meaning in their head.