The EC Blog

Environmental and social justice related articles, news and media

December Real Food Day event arriving

Food – one of our many basic needs that has one of the hugest impacts on our planet.  As a new member to the Real Food Challenge Team (RFCT) this year, I’d say my knowledge of food was like the rest of the general population. Becoming part of this team had taught me to question how my dinner has arrived to my plate.  Did the individual who picked my food have a livable wage? Are there harmful chemicals in my food that could harm my family and I?

Questioning how ethical your food really is helps you to realize the impact you have as an individual. The RFCT is aiming to have 20 percent of “real” food on the Fort Lewis College campus, and currently the “real” food calculator is at 4.36 percent.   If you don’t know by now, “real” food is not only local but also ecologically sound, fair-trade and humane food products.  We are excited about the outcome from Food Day October 24, as our partner Sodexo is making it a monthly event.  The monthly real food meals will be starting next month before the semester ends, so if you didn’t get to try Sodexo’s real food menu in October, here is your chance again before it’s all gone.  It was such a success the last time I didn’t get a chance to try it, but I heard it was delicious.  So you’ll bet I’ll be there this coming December to try it. 

If you voiced your desire for real food during the recent Food Day, your voices are being heard. Thanks for helping us progress as a school and a community.  If you have yet to attend a real food event, bring your friends and write a comment on Sodexo comment cards, or “vote with your dollars,” using your purchasing power to request real food items.  The numbers will also show support as it did for the Food Day event in October – 300 people were served from the real food menu, compared to the usual 200 in the cafeteria.  So with that, you guys are awesome, thank you all!  Keep going!

By Larissa Mexican, Real Food Challenge team member

Tagged as: ,

Leave a Response

*