Green Business Roundtable – Organic vs. Local

rooted_blog_Ali_CROP

Recently, as an environmental studies major at Fort Lewis College, I have realized the amount of individuals that have dedicated their lives to better the environment. It is easy to forget sometimes when modern culture seems to be consumed with many things but the environment, but last Wednesday I had the opportunity to see the amplitude of the environmentally dedicated people within a small community. I am a volunteer at the environmental center and to thank me the coordinator, Rachel Landis, brought me to Durango’s “Green Business Roundtable”. This monthly gathering of businesses and individuals in Durango that are dedicated to environmentally conscious actions, and have speakers to promote progressive green actions for their businesses. This month Linley Dixon came to speak about local compared to organic produce, which was quite an interesting topic to me, because I often have this dilemma in my personal life. She spoke about the industrialization of organic farming and how it has strayed from its original ideals by being regulated by the government. Linley farms ecologically sound food on a few acres near Durango and sells her produce to local farmers markets in the area. Supporting the local food system gives communities more security for produce, cuts back on fossil fuel emissions from transportation, and fosters support for sustainable small-scale farms. Lindley’s lasting remarks for the crowd was that if we, as a community, support small-scale farmers, they in turn will support us.