EC Library Update

2016_02_02_rooted_blogCROP
“Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.”
– Richard Feynman

One of the most important things I’ve learned working on the Campus Sustainability Team at the Environmental Center over the past three years is that consistency in small, thoughtful actions makes enormous changes. Often times, this goes deeper than what others see.

Over the past six months, I have been giving the EC library an extreme make-over. Through a series of tiny steps and long hours, I have reached a new level of organization, coordination, and persistence. At the beginning of the Fall semester 2015, the EC partnered with the on-campus Reed Library to make our resources more accessible to students. Now, when you search for a book located at the EC on the Reed database, you will be directed to us! This is important, because it brings community members and students from all corners of campus to our warm haven. Did you know that we have the largest environmental library in the four corners? Our library is made up of over 1,800 books and subscriptions to 6 periodicals (and growing). As a die-hard bibliophile in a digital world, I know the irreplaceable feeling of opening a book and slipping into another world for a while. This is why I find fulfillment in making the EC library an organized, clean, and easily accessible resource for others.

library_image_CROP

Over past three years, my drive to educate myself as a devoted environmentalist has profoundly impacted the way I think and act. Today, I choose to act in a way that inspires others. Spending more time in the library has strengthened my passion, which I will take with me through life. I hope that a beautiful library will inspire others in the same way it has for me.

Fallon Kelley

Campus Sustainability Team