Real Food, Real Life, Real Change

Katrina Rachwitz, Real Food Challenge Team

I considered myself to be a passionate environmentalist when I started at Fort Lewis College. As my time here has progressed I believe my passion has grown significantly. I am an environmental studies major, and of course, my education has solidified environmental consciousness for me, but I have grown mostly because of the time I spend at the Environmental Center with the amazing EC’ers.

I am a part of the Real Food Challenge team, working to get ecologically sound, humane, fair and/or local foods in the dining hall. This has brought all different aspects of environmentalism into one neatly packaged project. Food is this amazing knot that connects people to the earth, and it connects all beings to each other no matter if they are a different ethnicity, religion or species. We all need to eat, right?

Through my work at the EC I get to learn about the impact of our food system on the world around us and not just the impact of food on ourselves. I’ve learned about how food transportation causes an increased dependence on fossil fuels, about the torturous lives that livestock live, and how our current food system perpetuates great human rights violations. The Real Food Challenge is changing the food system to benefit, instead of harm, the earth, workers, biodiversity, livestock, and our own health.

The EC has this amazing energy whenever I walk through the doors. It’s always full of passionate people excited to make their impact in the world. All the employees and volunteers at the EC are learning how to live sustainably and how to bring the values and tactics we learn into the world beyond Fort Lewis.

We do some amazing work for sustainability on and off campus, but that is not what makes the EC so amazing, it is the people there. I have made some of my best friends and done some of the most inspiring things because of the EC. The world is in a tough spot environmentally and socially, and whenever I start to feel down about our current political predicament, I just go to the EC. I see wonderful people working to make the world a better place, and they give me hope for the future!