The EC Blog

Environmental and social justice related articles, news and media

EC Impacts: Personal Growth, Professionalism and Connection

By Charlie Shew, Energy Impact Team Coordinator

As a senior preparing to graduate this April, I have spent a considerable amount of time reflecting on my days spent at Fort Lewis College and how my involvement with the school has prepared me for my next steps after college. Working at the Environmental Center has been my most professionally, personally and socially fulfilling experience at FLC. I’ve had the opportunity to be a Real Food Challenge team member and coordinator as well as this year’s Energy Impact team coordinator.

I have gained so many professional skills while working with the EC in various capacities. It’s no coincidence that I’ve been fortunate enough to bookend my college career as student coordinator at the EC. My professional skills gained include creating project management documents, leading meetings, developing educational materials, tabling, canvasing, taking meeting minutes, working in a diverse office space, and much, much more.

It is an honor to be a ‘leader amongst leaders’ because these folks push me to stay educated and savvy regarding the work we are doing. Personally, the EC showed me the caliber of community needed to effectively work on today’s environmental and social needs. To continue this work, I want to impress on anyone who knows about this unique and superb community called the EC that it’s up to us to keep it that way.

For those reading this that are already involved, please, continue to embrace its resources, and don’t let up — the benefits of this place will continue to help you grow. For those not yet involved, you have a community waiting for you that will support you and challenge you in whatever you choose to pursue, and the EC will give you the tools necessary to make the impact you want.

Socially, I can’t thank the EC enough for the connections this place opened up for me. My first experience with the EC encapsulates the potential networking benefits this place can bring to anyone who walks through its doors or comes across its work.

When I first arrived in Durango, the EC gave me the opportunity to assume the role of FLC representative and campaign mascot, or ‘Bag Monster’, for the Durango bag tax campaign in 2013. The relationships I developed with city officials and active Durango citizens are entirely accredited to this opportunity the EC provided.

I have since become a familiar face recognized by many in the Durango community which is largely due to my continued involvement in the work the EC does. I could not have asked for a better introduction to a new community, both on and off campus.

The skills I gained, the work I did, and the people I connected with each positively impacted me and contributed to many of the values I hold today. The EC helped prepare me to successfully create the change I want to see in the world. I feel confident in bringing my
experience working at the EC as a value-add to my post-college work and communities.

Leave a Response

*