Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling in Your Daily Life

By Tatyana Trujillo, Energy Impact

“Reduce, reuse, recycle” has been one of my mottos, it is branded in my mind and is a part of my daily life now. I haven’t always been this conscious though, my family did the standard recycling, composting, and was conscious on reusing items. But we didn’t fully understand the impact it had. Once I began doing my own research on these issues, I started to understand how important it is to continue these habits on my own. I found many benefits on reducing and reusing and how they can help towards making the planet healthier. Being a college student, money is always a huge issue. Well, little did we know, reusing and reducing material in our life will save us money. It will help with reducing the amount of waste that could be sent to landfills and it reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change. Also, it saves a lot of energy needed to make the product. These issues can be solved by just simply recycling the right materials, reusing, and reducing on the amount of materials you use.

Being a college student is already stressful and on top of that stress I had to worry about what I was going to do to be conscious and contribute to this sustainable lifestyle. I started finding simple ways I could continue reducing, reusing, and recycling. I got rid of clothes I no longer needed, donating them either to the thrift store or the Campus Free Store. I continued recycling and composting, I was more conscious of the number of items I would throw away each day. I began sharing items with my friends giving us the opportunity to reduce the items we had and save money.

A huge factor in my environment copiousness on these issues is because of the Environmental Center. The Environmental Center has been working on many ways to get students more engaged on how to become more sustainably aware. Our Zero-Waste Team is very passionate on getting the student body involved in reusing, recycling, and reducing. The Campus Free Store is one of the most popular things on campus revolving around these issues. We are able to get students involved in reusing clothes and other items. We are also working on issues regarding the amount of waste from to-go coffee cups. We want to get Animas Perks involved in reducing the amount of waste by simply offering reusable coffee cups for students that are not on-the-go and would like to sit down and enjoy some coffee. Or having students bring their own coffee cup. We can defiantly make a huge impact toward reducing our waste, it just takes developing new habits.