Are you living in the dorms? Do you want to live more sustainably? Most people that are interested in sustainability and living in the dorms have a hard time being sustainable in their rooms. Living sustainably in your dorm is possible, and very feasible. The following are the top ten ways to live sustainably (or more sustainably) in your dorm room.
1. Reduce your energy consumption. Turn all electronics off and unplug items from the outlet! Anything still plugged in uses a small amount of electricity.
2. Keep your windows closed. As nice as a little breeze is, opening your windows just requires the schools heaters to work harder than they need to work.
3. Reduce your paper consumption. Double side any printing that you do.
4. Recycle. Provide recycling bins to your suite mates or offer to take recycling from everyone’s rooms and put it in bins outside.
5. Use a water bottle. The Student Union Building no longer sells bottled water. A water bottle refilling station is available in the College Union Building.
6. Shave a minute off your shower time. You will reduce your water consumption by over 700 gallons a year (If you shower every day).
7. Buy a plant for you room. This will clean the air through your room and make the air quality better for all. Good plants to improve air quality include: Peace Lily, Bamboo Palm, English Ivy, Mums, and Spider Plant.
8. Don’t pay to use those dryers. It is dry in Durango hang those garments up and they will be dry in no time.
9. Use CFL’s. Change out those incandescent light bulbs for more efficient longer lasting CFL’s. Don’t forget those bulbs when you leave either they can last up to nine years.
10. Shop at second hand stores. Do you really need those new $100 pair of jeans. Save money and the environment and shop second hand.
There you have it the 10 best ways to be more sustainable in your dorm room. Have other great ideas to be more sustainable if your dorm room? Share them on the Environmental Center Facebook Page.
~ Andrew Stuntz