Bonjour! Welcome to my online boulangerie!

image_pdfimage_print

My name is Emily Dell and I’m at college getting my business degree, so I can open my very own bakery!  From a very young age I have loved everything to do with baking. Even the dishes… If you’re wondering about the french that’s up top, well, I’m also minoring in French!  I plan on doing a semester abroad, because what better place to learn the art of bread making than France? While I’m living here in Durango I also got a job at the local bakery Bread. If you haven’t been I highly suggest it. That is, if you’re into delicious fresh baked pastries, amazing sandwiches, and the most wonderful breads. I’ve worked there  for two years and I’m still not sick of it. So that’s a little bit about me, now let’s get more detailed.

I would love to share with you my Accounting 226 Cookie Project. I feel so lucky that I get to do it because it’s teaching me a very important skill for my future bakery. My wonderful partner Meg and I get to find out exactly how much a batch of cookies cost. Not just the ingredients that go into it, but costs you would never really thing of. Such as the cost of oven mitts! Or an apron! The bowl, spatula, dish soap to clean up, packaging, labels, delivery, etc. The list goes on and on!

Knowing how to find all of these costs is going to be such a great help to run a successful business. It’s all in the detail. I’ve been told that going to a culinary school would have been a better option. I disagree. I think knowing how to run a business is half the battle in a bakery, and why not get paid to learn to bake while I’m at it! Thank you so much for tuning in and I hope to see you again soon.