Money Trees: The common good approach for all classes in youth sport

Kids playing sports when they are young is a big part of their young lives. Unfortunately sometimes it cost money to participate in the youth leagues, which is the case for Sondra. Sondra the single mother of four children would like to enroll two her kids into a youth sports league. Sondra is a single mother, who doesn’t have the financial resources to enroll her kids for the $75 fee. The youth league even offers a discount for enrolling multiple children, but that cost is still too much for Sondra.

This situation doesn’t just affect Sondra; there are families all over the country that are affected by financial situations like this. For Sondra she was told that “sport participation is a privilege, not a right”, but I feel that sport participation is important for kids growing up. By participating in sports, it allows kids to live a fit/healthy life, and also gives them something to do and stay out of trouble. The kids that are more likely to be troubled in life are the kids in the lower economic class. I myself don’t feel as if sports should be limited by money, especially with kids. Sure it cost money to run the leagues, but there should be someway that would allow low-income children to participate in sports.

Finding that balance of how to implement a way to allow kids of all financial standing to participate in sport is probably the most difficult issue that resides with this situation. So as we all know that money doesn’t grow on trees (or we at least haven’t found that tree yet), when trying to find the balance that allows equal access to youth sports for all economic classes would be the common good approach. When thinking of a way to do this I came up with a couple ideas, like starting a petition to lower costs, or have a payment plan. I know that the rec center in this situation said that they were in tight budget at the time, but they would have to be able to do something to help the kids out. I don’t think that this would be the most affective way to take action for this situation, most ideal yes, would it work probably not. Another way to take action with Sondra’s situation would be to look at other leagues around, or after school programs that are offered at her kid’s schools. This type of action probably isn’t the most ethical way to do so, because her kids should have a right to play in this league.

The best way I could think of to take action with this situation would be, to offer a fundraising opportunity to kids before the league starts. This would allow them to raise money that would go toward their participation fee. By doing this it allows all kids to raise their own money to play in the league instead of it coming from the family income. As the kids earn their own money it helps them achieve the goal of participating in sports without creating a financial deficit to their family’s budget.

So when dealing with money and sports we will always run into complications. In the case of Sondra’s situation this is the action that I would take. I do agree that sports are a privilege but shouldn’t be limited by money, for kids who really want to play sports. So fundraising in a situation like this would be the best way to help both the family, and the rec center. It allows the kids to raise their own money teaching that sport is a privilege, and the rec center gets their money still.

Tags: ,