My experience with improv writing 10/31/14

when I showed up to class and bill told me that we were going to sit and write for 15 minutes straight, I didn’t think that is was going to be a big deal. I also didn’t realize at the time that there was something to be learned from it. the way he presented it as an activity he made it seem like he simply wanted to familiarize us with the act of writing, which he did. and quite a bit more. we wrote for 15 minutes about nothing in particular, my only specific memory was the intense pain in my writing hand after a while. after we finished he made several of us read what we had written, instilling in our minds that if we did this again we may have to read what we wrote. with this in mind we began to write for another 20 minutes, this time about a specified topic, or three really. we were told to write. about our left foot, candy, and the end of the world. so I wrote my piece about the three topics, I decided to tie them all together and write them in a story format. when we finished, he made several of us read ours aloud. when we finished reading he made his point of the day. we need to learn to make connections, we need to make a link between our topics, and more importantly, we need to be able to apply the knowledge gained in one place to another place.