5 Different Modes

image_pdfimage_print

Again, Multimodal can be broken down into two parts, in this post I will only focus on one part, mode. There are five distinct words that represent all the different ways to communicate. The five modes are linguistic, visual, aural, gestural, and spatial. Linguistic mode is the act of communicating through words, they can be either written or spoken. Visual mode, in my opinion is the most important. If I see a poster on the side of the road I will notice it because of the color or layout rather then the words on it. Aural mode looks at sound. Sound is all around us, we turn on the TV, there’s sound, turn on the radio, sound. Aural mode plays a very important part, however most people will not notice it. For example, in a climax of a movie, the sound will become more dramatic as it builds up the intensity of the movie, but the viewer will more focus on the visuals however, the sound plays just as important role as the visuals. Gestural mode is the act of how one communicates through movements such as body language.  Spatial Mode is the physical arrangement. An example of spatial mode would be looking at flowers at City Market, the employees there put time into organizing the flowers to be as appealing as they can be.

4 thoughts on “5 Different Modes”

1. Jamie. This is me, Candra, doing my Comp 250 homework, commenting on the blogs of those in my group from the other day.

This is what stood out to me in your post the most:

“Visual mode, in my opinion is the most important. If I see a poster on the side of the road I will notice it because of the color or layout rather then the words on it. ”

I want to help you and the other guys in our group make your blogs pretty.

Also, think about what you’d do if you clicked a link that sounded interesting, but then all it lead to was words and words and paragraphs and words. Would you want to spend much time there?

2. Yeah, I think sound plays a huge part in our lives. I feel life would be pretty dull without it. In movies and TV shows it helps to create the story and without sound I would find the plot hard to follow.

3. So if there are multiple ways to communicate how do you find yourself communicating the most on a daily basis whether its speaking to someone else or not? Body language or voice, maybe even by how you dressed that day.

4. Jamie, you did a nice job of providing examples in your blog for each of the different modes and explaining why they are important. However you could do this by using multimodal forms of communication yourself to prove to the reader that you really learned about it.