The Future of the English Language

image_pdfimage_print
This is what typical conversations look like

Chapter 4 of Language made me realize just how much we misuse the English language everyday. I consider myself to be a decent writer, and pride myself with the fact that I try to use proper grammar. I didn’t realize that I actually make frequent grammatical errors in my writing, and when I am having a face-to-face conversation. Basically, as we continue to misuse simple writing mechanics, eventually it sounds correct to the point that we are shifting from what’s proper grammar to what’s acceptable grammar. The book gives several examples of common errors. One of the examples that stood out to me the most, “I wish I was” or “if I was” instead up finishing with “were.” I honestly didn’t realize this was incorrect until I read this book. It’s one of the examples we would consider acceptable grammar since it is often used that way, and most people don’t know it’s incorrect.

Technology has dramatically changed the way speak to each other. Everyday we communicate through social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter, or we text and email. There isn’t as much in person conversation like there was before technology advanced so much. We have also come up with new slang words that even the dictionary is adding like “LOL” and “OMG.” Language explains that “if tens of millions of people are using a word over a period of years, lexicographers put it into the dictionary”. We will continue to communicate through technology, and language will keep changing.