Looking Back

destinys child

Destiny’s Child man… as a 90’s baby I have to say still to this day is my guilty pleasure. I’ve listened to them since I was a little girl, and still do to this day. I remember when I was 6, I got this Destiny’s Child shirt that was so sparkly and fabulous and my parents had to force me to change out of it after me wearing it for a week straight at school.  I was so upset, and honestly I’m pretty upset now because I don’t have a cool Destiny’s Child shirt now to wear to class. First off let’s just talk about Beyonce- the ultimate diva superstar bad bitch with the voice of all the sassy woman angels in the sky combined. She just kills it, I’ve never heard anyone else with a voice so pure and solid! And she is drop dead gorgeous and knows it, but is still a very important role model for so many young woman out there.  I think one of the main reasons why I did, and still do resonate with their music so much, is their common idea and message of girl/ woman power.

“The shoes on my feet
I’ve bought it
The clothes I’m wearin
I’ve bought it
The rock I’m rockin
I’ve bought it
‘Cause I depend on me
If I wanted
The watch you’re wearin
I’ll buy it
The house I live in
I’ve bought it
The car I’m drivin
I’ve bought it
I depend on me
(I depend on me)

All the women who are independent
Throw your hands up at me
All the honeys who makin money
Throw your hands up at me
All the mommas who profit dollas
Throw your hands up at me
All the ladies who truly feel me
Throw your hands up at me”

This is just a little chunk of lyrics from the song Independent Woman Pt.1, my favorite Destiny’s Child song. Especially as a little girl listening to this made me always want to grow up to be a strong woman that don’t need no man to make me happy! Now when i listen to it, I’m like ohhhhhhh yeah I totally am! Thanks Destiny’s Child, you guys rule.

One thought on “Looking Back