Creating New Connections Meaning Reading More Than Twice In Different Places

One quote from class that I really admired was when Bill stated, “read at different times of the day, read at different places, after different events, being aware of what I eat when I read as well as what I drink, and it all changes who you are when you read it…You know yourself well and put yourself in different places..Use a different Pen.” This quote, I believe has helped me to understand these character’s lives. After 40 years, their reflections are more than an enduring research but a way to see a life different as well as create a personal connection to others. If one of Magolda’s purpose is to how people create everlasting personal ┬áconnections with others I do suppose that by reading after hardships or rewarding events will change your perspective as to how you comprehend the information she is writing about.

Personally, I see that there is process to understanding this book. The process goes as follows: Actuality…Thoughts in the Moment/Actions…Reflection…Judgments About Magolda/Others/Readers. This is the process in which a reader can read one chapter about another’s life and how to relatively compare the reader’s life with what is happening to the character. With this process, I am able to argue as well as make scholar judgments about Magola’s assessment of the character’s motives.

Bill also addressed the question “What do you have to let go in order to understand the stories?” Judgments. Past experiences. Notions. Stereotypes. Bias. So MANY can be listed as to what actions can be assessed in this question although which is most likely to be possible is to read the stories and assessments as casual as possible. I test this theory of not visualizing this book as a scholarly text assigned in class but rather as a book that will allow me to actually find this “internal voice.” Magolda tells the reader that this is the best moment in your life that will occur if I pay close attention to these stories.

On another cross-lined thought, Magolda reminds me of my “Feminism and World Religions” class when we discussed about Siddhartha and Buddhism. Siddhartha’s main goal in life was to attain Nirvana as well as Enlightenment although the only way he could reach it is by understanding himself the most. To be selfish in this philosophy and context, is wanted and is encouraged. This notion to me can be related to how Magolda can provide readers with a stronger belief they have an internal voice and can activate by reading this stories.

The personal connections made by the reader to the characters and Magolda are greatly important to reaching Enlightenment or in other words “Internal Voice.” Am I not right as to Magolda constantly referring to “Internal Voice” to Buddism’s “Enlightenment?” From this discussion I do see that finding personal connections in different forms in life is an essential to actually living as well as reading this book to its fullest potential.