Economics, when most people here the word they think of numbers or money, but economics is much more than formulas and equations. It is a social science that studies the rational decisions we as human beings make, which makes Language a key factor in the study of human decisions.
- Understanding gesture and other nonoverable language
Language and Thought (p 12)
- Understanding how humans create symbols and communicate with them
Writing for an Audience (p 74)
- Analyzes the writer-reader relationships
- Writers must share knowledge, not just tell it
- Analyzes the intersection of language, culture, and society
- Is French the most useful language to learn?
- Discusses the advantages of learning several languages
- A lack of imagery and precision are now “ugly” uses in the English Language
- Language should be used as an instrument of expression
- Analyzes how people identify with advertisements
- Verbal persuasion
Investigating Globish (p 297)
- Simple language is easier to spread globally