Practicing Naturopathic Medicine

Vis Medicatrix Naturae – “The healing power of nature.” Naturopathic medicine grounds itself on this philosophy, an individuals’ inherit self-healing abilities. Through the use of a natural techniques, naturopaths are able to allow the patient’s body to facilitate the healing process by identifying and removing underlying causes, rather than using harsh medications to temporarily reverse symptoms. As shown in the diagram, practices include herbal, nutritional, and therapeutic methods among others.

A multitude of approaches commonly taken in the practice of naturopathy
A multitude of approaches commonly    taken in the practice of naturopathy

I have chosen this field of medicine primarily because its growing interest and because it is becoming the preferred method of treatment for young children. The unique combination of natures medicine with science allows for treatment options from a holistic approach.

Currently, I am studying Cellular and Molecular Biology with a minor in Chemistry at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. My future plans entail attending Natural College of Naturopathic Medicine, a graduate school in Portland, Oregon. Proper schooling will insure I can fulfill my dreams of becoming a pediatric naturopath, helping children worldwide prevent disease and promoting healthy living.

image_pdfimage_print

Published by

Becky Salamon

I currently am attending Fort Lewis College (FLC) in Colorado. I have come a long way from my hometown in Chesterfield, Missouri. In Durango I am studying Cellular and Molecular Biology with a minor in Chemistry, while participating on the DII lacrosse team. My aspirations after Fort Lewis include attending graduate school in Portland, Oregon and becoming a Naturopathic doctor for children.