Class Envoling My Mayjor

I came to Fort Lewis College in the fall semester of 2012 without having a clue as to the direction I intended to go and to be honest I still am a bit lost. I have realized that college courses ignite my interests more than classes I had taken in high school. I enrolled in courses like I was the new kid at a middle school both scared and excited. I was down for whatever. I was just trying to find my niche. I didn’t take the traditional freshman math path. I skipped taking English and Math at first for various reasons. I took Sociology the semester of my freshman year and was amazed by the course. I declared it to be my major and haven’t looked back since. I am working towards a minor in Business Marketing and may get a double major.

After the first hour of the first day of Composition 250, I realized I am going to enjoy this class. It is run like many of my classes in Sociology. We circle the desks and have a group discussion with ample input from the entire class. Often we have more extensive discussions than some of my upper division Sociology classes. William Mangrum, our instructor emphasizes it is important that everyone add something to each class. Everyone is accountable to be the best scholar that they can.

Professor Mangrum asks each of us in class to be “observant” and “participate.” These traits have become familiar to me during my pursuit of a Sociology degree. Being an observant participant not only encourages me to share my perspectives on class subjects, it also does the same for the other Composition 250 scholars.

Finally after many class sessions using the process of being an observant participant, I will report what I have observed. Through practice, I am able to post broad observations involving course discussions with more intensity and speed than I have been able in previous classes. My thoughts concerning many subjects including Composition 250 will be viewed by not only my classmates but many others as well.