Tell Me More

COMP 250 with William Mangrum challenges me every time I walk in. It challenges me because it makes me down right uncomfortable at times. I like questions with one answer. I like having set ways to do things. I do not like when all attention is directed towards me. I do not like talking about my feelings, and I especially do not like talking about my feelings with a group of 20 strangers. This discomfort made our class discussion on phenomenonal interviewing even more difficult for me. “Words can conceal or reveal” (Mangrum). In the case of being interviewed by someone I barely know, I would prefer to conceal. For this reason I was relieved, with every question asked of Gino, that I was not in his shoes. I was relieved until, without fail, Mangrum called on me when I least wanted him to, and asked me to conduct my own interview. In an ideal world I would have shrugged my shoulders and passed the task onto another classmate, but I knew there was no getting out of this one, so away I went. I began to find that interviewing may even be more difficult than being interviewed. You have to ask good questions, listen carefully for an answer, then come up with an even better question to ask next, all while writing every response down. There was a lot more to these interviews than “very interesting” and “tell me more”. You have to dig deep into your brain, or else it will simply go nowhere. It will definitely take me some practice to master this technique, but I do think that it will be beneficial. Listening to the discussion about these interviews also made me wonder, “What places inside my self to I need to interview, to interrogate?” Maybe the first person I need to practice this new interviewing technique on is myself.